The inland dunes are no longer active since most of the area is wooded. In the western part of the area there are still places where the landscape is clearly visible. The open sand dune, heath and bog areas here have been appointed as comprising a Natura 2000 site (Figure 33-3). This type of landscape, dominated by sand dunes and heathland, is uncommon in Europe. The entire area in owned and maintained by the Danish Nature Agency who manage the area in accordance with a management plan intended to preserve the unique habitat and landscape. This involves, for example, the removal of trees and bushes. Another Danish Nature Agency initiative involves clearing the above-mentioned parabolic sand dune of trees and bushes so that its form remains clear and unspoiled.
Information about Husby Klitplantage is provided by the Danish Nature Agency in the form of a home page, folders and signs, and they have established an extensive system of paths and easy access to parking places.
As mentioned earlier, sand movement in the area probably started in prehistoric times, possibly in connection with cultivation of the light, sandy soil and grazing during the Younger Stone Age. Historical sources report that the migration of sand has been a problem in near-coastal areas for centuries since it ruined farmland and altered the landscape. This problem was exaggerated when forests were cleared in the late Middle Ages, combined with the overuse of dune areas for grazing and harvesting for fodder and thatching material. Climate changes may also have played a role. In 1539 the king forbade by law the destruction of dune vegetation, but the problem continued and got worse. The Husby area was particularly sensitive to sand migration in the absence of fjords or marshy areas in the hinterland, which could stop its movement (as happened at, for example, Nissum Fjord to the north). In the 1850s the sand approached Husby church, and local people persuaded the king to take action. In 1859 this resulted in the establishment of the plantation at Husby, which, together with several other plantations along the west coast of Jutland, were to reduce sand movement.