The Site and its History
Sir Lyngbjerg is a complex hilly landscape (Geosite no. 26) which was used for grazing for many years. The area was also used as a training site for local young men. In 1867 a shooting club was founded, motivated by the war with Prussia and the loss of Southern Jutland in 1864 and the resulting strong nationalistic feelings. The shooting club also arranged a series of spiritually edifying lectures focussing on freedom of speech, democracy and the constitution. With the local teacher Hansen-Sir as initiator, the number of events grew to include folk festivals, outdoor church services and large public meetings attracting thousands of people. In connection with such a public meeting in 1878 a collection was started to finance the first of 8 memorials in the hills commemorating King Frederik 7th who signed the constitution of 1849 that established a Danish parliament and made the country a constitutional monarchy. Over the next 100 years 7 more memorial stones were erected celebrating events of national importance, royal persons and local people of high regard.