Working With the Groynes
Coastal erosion accelerated after a severe storm in 1825 breached the isthmus at Aggertange. This resulted in an increased northward flow of sediments towards the breach. Based on an initiative from the Bovbjerg lighthouse keeper C. F. Grove, it was decided to build a series of groynes. Groyne no. 1 was to be located by Bovbjerg lighthouse and the numbers were to increase northwards. The work to build the groynes proved to be difficult with the lifting and transport equipment available at the time. A concrete mixing site was built and a railway for tipping trucks was constructed from Ferring town to the lighthouse from where the concrete blocks were lowered to the beach.
At the car park near the church at Ferring there are still some red wooden houses that used to be occupied by workers involved in the project. The large concrete mixing site is located about 200 m to the south from where the blocks for construction of the groynes were made and transported by the tipping truck train. In 1909 the construction of groynes was extended south of the lighthouse. These were identified with letters and the most southerly one at Fjaltring church is groyne Q. To the north the last groyne (no. 63) is located just south of the canal at Thyborøn. Groynes continue, however, north of Agger. The Danish Coastal Authority, that has offices in Lemvig, is responsible for coastal defences here and along much of the Danish coast.