Bovbjerg Lighthouse has many functions. In addition to its role as an active lighthouse it is a cultural and exhibition centre as well as a cafeteria. It is run by a group of local enthusiastic volunteers under the watchful eye of a “Lighthouse Auntie”. It is located at the top of Bovbjerg cliff that is the most important geosite in Geopark West Jutland.
The lighthouse at Bovbjerg was built in 1877 as one of the first along the west coast. The lighthouse was to guide ships at a time when shipwrecks were particularly common. It was coloured red rather than white so that it would not be confused with the church towers at Ferring and Trans. The cliff at Bovbjerg is 41 m high and the top of the lighthouse is 26 m above this. The light itself is 62 m above sea level and the light from the present 300 W halogen lamps passing through the original Fresnel lens can be seen 16 nautical miles away in clear weather. The light shines at two 2.5 second-long intervals every 15 seconds. The light was automated in 1965 and the last lighthouse staff left in 2003. The lighthouse is still functional, but today only the upper part of the tower with the lantern and its machinery are owned by the Danish Maritime Authority. Lemvig municipality purchased the lighthouse in 2006 and handed it over to the Bovbjerg Lighthouse Foundation (Fonden Bovbjerg Fyr) who run it today with two full time employees, 130 volunteers and a support group with 600 members.